Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Am I Two Different People?

I dance burlesque, I model fine art nudes (as well as corsetry nudes) I make art, and I am a mommy.
From some of the other mommies I know seem surprised I still dance, that I have no plans on making a career for myself that doesnt involve rhinestones and semi nudity. From some of the Burlesque dancers I know they seem surprised that I would want to have a child as if I couldn't have both a baby and a collection of feather boas (this has been less common with other dancers than with other mommies).

I am not two different people, I can be a mother and shimmy onstage without issue. I can stand there in full make-up and coated in glitter and rhinestones while talking about my child and I dont feel strange about it.

After the birth of my son I feel more inspired to enrich my performance skills. More inspired to learn and grow as a performer, and trust me I have a lot of learning and growing to do. But then I want feather boas, stage make-up, and performing to be normal for him. I dont want him to grow up thinking costumes or make-up are strange.
DO I segment parts away from my child? Well yeah, the more sexual overtones are avoided, though he has been present at a couple of performances (that werent in bars) and I see nothing wrong with that, a look over the shoulder and a gown that shimmers as it hits the floor arent going to scar him for life. Anything more sexual than that will be kept for adults as it should be, children should be allowed to be children without the pressure to understand things they arent ready for. This doesnt mean that my life is put on hold until then though. Just as we multitask in daily life I do so with who I am. I am a mother, I do dance, I can do both.


2 comments:

  1. We don't change who we are when we become mothers. We become us as mothers. Certainly there's a shift in priorities as we open a space in our lives for our little ones, but we're still the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put! I struggle with this issue a bit and you've made me feel a bit better. So thanks! Bunny

    ReplyDelete